Iran

Saturday, January 06, 2007
LONDON (Reuters) - Israel has drawn up secret plans to destroy Iran's uranium enrichment facilities with tactical nuclear weapons, Britain's Sunday Times newspaper said.

Citing what it said were several Israeli military sources, the paper said two Israeli air force squadrons had been training to blow up an enrichment plant in Natanz using low-yield nuclear "bunker busters".

This story could put risk premium back in oil.

http://aheadofthenews.com/

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic..._RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAN-NUCLEAR-ISRAEL.xml&src=rss
 
I don't think anyone really knows the depth of offensive weapons we have sitting in Iraq secure areas. We've been building logistics for several years to help handle Iran when the time arrives. I know there has been a good amount of movement out of Germany. Everyone is getting prepared to end the evil that Iran represents.
 
Israel Denies Planning Iran Nuke Attack

From Associated Press

January 07, 2007 8:14 AM EST
LONDON - A British newspaper reported Sunday that Israel has drafted plans to strike as many as three targets in Iran with low-yield nuclear weapons, aiming to halt Tehran's uranium enrichment program. The Israeli Foreign Ministry denied the report.

Citing multiple unidentified Israeli military sources, The Sunday Times said the proposals involved using so-called "bunker-buster" nuclear weapons to attack nuclear facilities at three sites south of the Iranian capital.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's office said it would not respond to the claim. "We don't respond to publications in the Sunday Times," said Miri Eisin, Olmert's spokeswoman.

Israeli Minister of Strategic Threats Avigdor Lieberman also declined to comment on the report.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev denied the report and said that "the focus of the Israeli activity today is to give full support to diplomatic actions" and the implementation of a U.N. Security Council resolution imposing sanctions on Iran for refusing to halt enrichment.

The United States and its allies accuse Tehran of secretly trying to produce atomic weapons, but Iran claims its nuclear program is solely for peaceful purposes, including generating electricity.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has condemned as invalid and illegal the U.N. resolution.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20070107/45a07e50_3ca6_1552620070107-1109776875
 
January 24, 2007

Does SPR Increase Foretell Iran Strike?
by Ashraf Laidi


Sharp swings ensued in today's FX trading, as the dollar fell sharply during the Asian session following a spike in oil prices after President Bush announcement to double the Strategic Petroleum Reserve to 1.5 billion barrels over the next 20 yrs. An unexpectedly low inflation report from Australia sharply significantly curtailed chances of a February rate hike by the Reserve Bank of Australia next month and boosted the US currency by a full cent. But the dollar sell-off resumed, especially against the yen, dropping to a 5-day low before recovering on an unexpectedly dovish report from the minutes of this month's Bank of England interest rate decision. (more below)

Does aggressive SPR build-up foretell Iran strike?

Light sweet crude is down 20 cents at $54.80 per barrel, after Tuesday's $2.48 jump to $55.04 on reports that the US Dept of Energy will purchase 100K barrels of oil per day starting next spring. While the decision is part of the Bush Administration's latest commitment to reduce US dependency on imported oil, the aggressive approach on beefing up SPR may reflect heightened possibility of a US military strike against Iran as early as March or April, at a time when US navy ships are piling up in the Persian Gulf. Yesterday, markets were filled with chatter of a Kuwait-based newspaper article reporting that the US will launch a military strike on Iran before April 2007, citing "reliable sources". According to the article, the strikes will be launched from US ships with Patriot missiles guarding all oil-producing countries in the region. The attacks would be planned in April, the last month of British PM Blair in office. The immediate result of such an attack is a protracted run up in oil prices, which could reach the $70 per barrel mark in less than a week.

http://www.safehaven.com/article-6764.htm
 
U.N. Says Iran Plans Nuclear Development
By GEORGE JAHN (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
January 26, 2007 3:03 PM EST
DAVOS, Switzerland - Iran plans to begin work next month on an underground uranium enrichment facility, as part of a plan to create a network of tens of thousands of machines turning out material that could be used to make nuclear arms, U.N. officials said Friday.

The officials' comments were the first concrete confirmation that work on the facility would begin in February. A senior U.S. State Department official warned the move would be a "major miscalculation" by Iran.

"If Iran takes this step, it is going to confront universal international opposition," said Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns. "If they think they can get away with 3,000 centrifuges without another Security Council resolution and additional international pressure, then they are very badly mistaken."

Former Iranian President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, meanwhile, accused the U.S. of acting like a bully, with the ultimate aim of forcing Iran to "abandon nuclear energy." In a sermon in Tehran, he said a U.S. military buildup in the Gulf and the announcement that U.S. forces would seek to capture or kill Iranian agents in Iraq were aimed Iranian nuclear programs.

"Today our enemies have come with several issues against us while having supporters in the world communities," Rafsanjani told worshippers Friday. "This is bullying."

Also Friday, the Iranian government said it would bar all U.N. inspectors from countries that voted in favor of a U.N. Security Council resolution last month that imposed sanctions on Iran for its nuclear program. Iran said it had rejected 38 names from a list of inspectors from the U.N. International Atomic Energy Agency.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20070126/45b98ad0_3ca6_1552620070126-1444336823
 
Iran Says It's Installing Centrifuges
By ALI AKBAR DAREINI (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
January 27, 2007 6:24 PM EST
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran is currently installing 3,000 centrifuges, a top lawmaker said Saturday in an announcement underlining that the country will continue to develop its nuclear program despite U.N. sanctions.

The lawmaker, Alaeddin Boroujerdi, said the installation under way at an Iranian uranium enrichment plant "stabilizes Iran's capability in the field of nuclear technology," IRNA reported.

Three inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency who arrived in Iran on Saturday are scheduled to visit the uranium enrichment plant in Natanz, Iranian state-television reported.

Iran last week barred 38 inspectors from the United Nations nuclear watchdog because they come from countries that voted for sanctions on Iran. State television did not give the nationalities of the three inspectors, and the IAEA could not immediately confirm their arrival in Iran.

Iran's announcement appears to be its latest gesture of defiance toward the international community over its nuclear program. It faces the prospect of additional United Nations sanctions unless it stops uranium enrichment by the end of a 60-day period that ends next month.

The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously in favor of economic sanctions Dec. 23 after Iran ignored an earlier deadline to halt enrichment.

Large scale use of centrifuges makes it possible to produce more enriched uranium in a shorter period.

Enriched uranium is used to fuel nuclear reactors and to make nuclear weapons. Many countries, including the United States, believe that Iran is using its nuclear program as a cover to produce an atomic weapon. Iran says its program is only for generating electricity.

Iranian officials had said in recent weeks that the country was moving toward large-scale enrichment involving 3,000 centrifuges, which spin uranium gas into enriched material.

The comments from Boroujerdi, the head of the Iranian Parliament's Foreign Policy and National Security Committee, came a day after IAEA head Mohamed ElBaradei said he believed Iran planned to begin work in February on a uranium enrichment facility underground. The subterranean facility is intended to protect the nuclear project from attack.

There had been speculation the leadership might launch the project at Natanz next month to celebrate the 28th anniversary of the Islamic Revolution that brought the clerical leadership to power.

A senior State Department official warned Iran against accelerating its atomic program. "If Iran takes this step, it is going to confront universal international opposition," Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said on Friday. "If they think they can get away with 3,000 centrifuges without another Security Council resolution and additional international pressure, then they are very badly mistaken."

Iran ultimately plans to expand its program to 54,000 centrifuges.

In enrichment plants, centrifuges are linked in what are called cascades. For now, the only known assembled centrifuge cascades in Iran are above ground at Natanz, consisting of two linked chains of 164 machines each and two smaller setups.

Meanwhile, Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said Iran's decision last week to bar the entrance of IAEA inspectors from countries whose governments voted in favor the U.N. sanctions resolution was within Iran's legal rights.

"This decision is lawful and will not harm our cooperation with the IAEA," Mottaki said Saturday.

----

Associated Press Writer George Jahn contributed to this report from Davos, Switzerland.

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/int?guid=20070127/45badc50_3ca6_15526200701271087101634
 
Bush Warns Iran Against Action in Iraq

President Bush speaks to reporters during his meeting with members of Securing America's Future Energy (SAFE), a non-partisan organization aiming to reduce America's dependence on oil, in the Roosevelt Room of the White House in Washington Monday, Jan. CHARLES DHARAPAKBy TERENCE HUNT (AP White House Correspondent)
From Associated Press
January 29, 2007 8:51 PM EST
WASHINGTON - President Bush said Monday the United States "will respond firmly" if Iran escalates military action in Iraq and endangers American forces. But Bush emphasized he has no intention of invading Iran.

Bush also acknowledged skepticism concerning U.S. intelligence about Iran, because Washington was wrong in accusing Iraq of harboring weapons of mass destruction before the U.S.-led invasion in 2003. "I'm like a lot of Americans that say, 'Well, if it wasn't right in Iraq, how do you know it's right in Iran,'" the president said.

The president, in an interview with NPR, said the United States was "constantly evaluating and answering this legitimate question by always working to get as good intelligence as we can."

Sharply at odds over Iran's suspected nuclear weapons program, Washington and Tehran increasingly are arguing about Iraq, where both countries are seeking influence. The White House said last week that American troops in Iraq have been authorized to kill or capture Iranian agents deemed to be a threat. Iran's ambassador followed up by telling The New York Times that Tehran plans to greatly expand its economic and military ties with Iraq and open an Iranian national bank branch in Baghdad.

The United States accuses Iran of supplying terrorists and insurgents in Iraq with improvised explosive devices that have become the most lethal threat to U.S. forces. The Bush administration says it decided to take a tougher line with Tehran after months of evidence showing Iran was assisting anti-U.S. forces.

"If Iran escalates its military action in Iraq to the detriment of our troops and/or innocent Iraqi people, we will respond firmly," the president said. "It makes common sense for the commander in chief to say to our troops and the Iraqi people and the Iraqi government that we will help you defend yourself from people that want to sow discord and harm. And so we will do what it takes to protect our troops."

Bush said it was important to distinguish the nuclear standoff with Iran from the quarrel over Tehran's involvement in Iraq. He said he believed the dispute over Iran's nuclear program could be resolved diplomatically.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has said Bush does not have authority to launch military action in Iran without first seeking congressional authorization.

Bush told NPR he had no intention of going into Iran. "This is the kind of thing that happens in Washington," the president said. "People ascribe, you know, motives to me beyond a simple statement - 'Of course we'll protect our troops.' I don't know how anybody can then say, 'Well, protecting the troops means that we're going to invade Iran.'"


http://enews.earthlink.net/article/pol?guid=20070129/45bd7f50_3ca6_15526200701291805595541


We are getting close. PATRIOT units are now being sent to the Middle East!

The plan is not to invade, but to turn up the heat. I say it's about time!
 
I say rearm the anti-Iranian group known as the MEK. Let them leave Iraq and return the favors to the Mullahs. They'll gladly kill as many as possible and be regarded as liberators in their homeland.
 
TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran said on Friday no amount of U.N. pressure would deter it from its nuclear program, a day after major powers agreed a plan to impose new sanctions.

"We have a nuclear fuel cycle. We will not give it up under pressure. By holding meetings you (the West) cannot block the Iranian nation's path," President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told a rally in the central town of Khatam, the official IRNA news agency reported.

More ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070316/ts_nm/iran_nuclear_ahmadinejad_dc_3
 
Nothing more then a bargaining position. You always ask for top dollar at the beginning.
I suppose next we'll get a kind of North Korean "turn the world into a sea of fire blah, blah, blah" and a year later people are striking deals. Same here. It's all posturing.
 
Is a U.S.-Iran War Inevitable?

Thursday, Mar. 29, 2007 By ROBERT BAER A video grab off the Iranian Arabic-language television station Al-Alam shows British servicewoman Faye Turney, who was among the British sailors seized last week at gunpoint by Iran in northern Gulf waters.
Al-Alam / AFP / GettyArticle ToolsPrintEmailReprints You wouldn't be wrong to wonder if Iran hasn't lost its mind seizing the 15 British marines and sailors, and in so doing, handing Bush a casus belli even he couldn't have imagined.

Related
What Iran Wants with the Sailors
Feeling cornered in its nuclear confrontation, Tehran is trying to take the offensive against Britain. Will it backfire?
But then again you'd be missing the grim fatalism that has settled over Iran of late, the resigned belief that a war with the U.S. is all but inevitable. This week Iranian diplomats are telling interlocutors that, yes, they realize seizing the Brits could lead to a hot war. But, they point out, it wasn't Iran that started taking hostages — it was the U.S., when it arrested five members of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in Erbil in Northern Iraq on January 11. They are diplomats, the Iranians insist. They were in Erbil with the approval of the Kurds and therefore, they argue, are under the protection of the Vienna Convention.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1604546,00.html
 
I dont see this turning out good. And it will give bush all he needs to go after Iran. Worse case senerio they are found guilty by Iranian courts and probably killed. But that would ensure a war that the iranian's are not prepared for. In the end it's all just for show in my eye's. The iranian oil is not as plentiful as it once was and this could be a distraction for more time. More time for what you might ask? Nuclear weapons, nuclear power, to wipe out all the jews in the world. Who knows!!! Or it could be just a stupid attempt to scare us (the west) Either way as I see it, it won't end until there are western troops on Iranian soil.

:notrust:
 
I dont see this turning out good. And it will give bush all he needs to go after Iran. Worse case senerio they are found guilty by Iranian courts and probably killed. But that would ensure a war that the iranian's are not prepared for. In the end it's all just for show in my eye's. The iranian oil is not as plentiful as it once was and this could be a distraction for more time. More time for what you might ask? Nuclear weapons, nuclear power, to wipe out all the jews in the world. Who knows!!! Or it could be just a stupid attempt to scare us (the west) Either way as I see it, it won't end until there are western troops on Iranian soil.

:notrust:
SHOWBOATING is a good word!:cool:
One who seeks attention by ostentatious behavior; a showoff.
 
Article V
When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.
 
The Ayatollahs are worried. There has been an apparent defection by Revolutionary Guards commander Ali Reza Asgari, who disappeared in Istanbul last month. He is said to know a great deal about Iran's nuclear program - they may have been thinking about a swap.
 
POW
[not as a moderator, but rather a veteran]
I know, sometimes you can't help from being a POW, and I have the utmost respect for any POW. They have a lot of courage!
However, sometimes being a POW is not a option; Little Bighorn, Bastogne, LZ X-ray.
Surrendering??.......Nuts!!
 
Back
Top